Thread: Linux NATIVE
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
ShaneLessor
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
all the geniuses are collaborating on this over here(swell porting).

Honestly I am holding off on my new pc purchase to see how this all pans out. I have been using my normal Ubuntu variant for most things, but just installed crunchbang and I can only imagine the speed that would be unleashed with reaper and #! Linux.

Nice work jumping on that.
Thanks! Good to see someone thinks I know what I'm doing. Hahaha

REAPER in WINE is just far too slow once you want to do serious work. The audio lags, etc. Anyone who has tried it should know this. I'm not talking 2, or 5 tracks, I'm talking like, 25 tracks, like any decent production. Also, I find Debian based distros to all be a little too Ubuntu-ish. Debian itself I find is really nice, but it's unnecessarily heavy. If you're looking for something really lightweight, like bare minimum (which would be great for production), you may want to check out Arch or Gentoo. Gentoo would be insanely fast and light, (it compiles every package from source) but Gentoo is really hardcore, takes a long time to set up. Arch is the same thing but it's a lot less 'bare linux kernel' if you know what I mean.

Nevertheless, if Cockos goes through with this native REAPER on Linux, I'd more that happily build a $2300 workstation computer with the intent of having it as my production machine. (I'd get one of those multi-processor workstation motherboards with two AMD 12 core processors (because by the time this happens, they'll be well available..) 32 GB Ram, multiple PCI-SSDs, man this would be an awesome machine, but I'd only build it if Reaper was available native on Linux. Let's face it, Windows is way too heavy for production. Plus Windows hyperthreading sucks, and Mac is just not for me. (Or anyone).. Haha

Oh, and @korakios, if Reaper was available on Linux, that might encourage developers of VST plugins to develop for Linux as well. Maybe we'd even see Pro Tools on Linux one day.

Last edited by ShaneLessor; 08-13-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo