View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #82
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobe View Post
Banned, I understand. Is it possible for you to write some small tutorial on how to create patches in PD? This way we would "learn how to fish", instead of getting the fish
Yes, that was exactly my intention. Or rather, showing you how to teach yourself how to invent a better fish rod and cultivate your own favorite kind of fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day - set a man on fire and he won't feel cold for the rest of his life.”
If I'm going to serve fish, it better be a feast meal, and not something smelly. It may be my particular taste, but I find that most fish stinks. Even after you put them on a fire for a while (or especially because you put them on the fire for the rest of their life or whatever...). Including the ones of my own cooking. They need some special preparation to be ready for public consumption.
Quote:
I noticed that its possible to set up two control surfaces at once while using only 1 BCR2000: [...]
Yeah the fun only starts with a simple patch, it gets much better with more complex setups indeed. But the usefulness of setups will be highly dependent on context, and then still be subjective, so imho it makes most sense to discuss simple examples patches for separate issues.
Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't even use OSC in first place, if only I could set up my BCR knobs to work faster in relative mode I tried using BC manager to increase speed of the encoders, but it didn't work AT ALL. Any ideas why it didn't work?
Hmm, yes, there's a few tricks for that, but BCR hacking is also a bit of a separate issue which I rather delve into (and discuss) after having a bit more fun with the basic REAPER OSC stuff.

Moreover, I think it is even more interesting to figure out how to best use the different abilities of the BCR (including all the hacking tricks) and implement a bridge layer (in Pd / Max / wherever), to convert absolute values for OSC into whatever relative mode is best on the controller end. That would be more generally (re)usable than just implementing some praticular mode. And simple (absolute) MIDI CC# mode is even more generally usable than some of the things the BCR supports, so that's what has my first priority. (Even) I can easily think of some ways how to implement a relative mode and fine/coarse control without even having anything else than plain MIDI CC#s, so I figured that I'd try doing that first.

And to be honest, conversely, I'm not really interested in using a proprietary protocol like is used for the existing BCF feedback support. I think I can do much better than that. I'm still interested in discussing some aspects of it, it just does have a *much* lower priority for me than using OSC, and certainly at this moment.

But I'm confident we'll end up with you (and others) being able to do exactly what you described in a pretty short period of time somehow. And I will bet that by then, you will again want to add or change just a *few* tiny things here and there.