View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #48
axeman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmire View Post
Isn't that actually low for hardware latencies?
I think on my other interface, the aardvark 24/96, that its just a smidgen higher than that on both counts, but the software made it imperceptible during recording.

Thanks for all the good info Axeman!

So to be clear, you're definitely saying the dropouts are far worse when overdubbing. This can be really bad for me, which as member of a one man band I'm always playing against my own tracks, and the first one I laydown is usually against a .wav of some drum machine/metronome.
My pleasure. Actually to clarify: The act of overdubbing, in and of itself, doesn't seem to have any impact whatsoever--however keeping the latency setting at "normal" (which is the only happy medium between guaranteed dropouts and too much monitoring latency to be able to record overdubs) does still produce the odd series of intermittent dropouts every once in a while. Or, to put it another way, I'm just as likely to experience dropouts if I'm practicing a part for eventual overdubbing (playing against what's already recorded but never actually engaging the recording process) as I am while actually recording--however, I keep the latency setting at "normal" for both, as that's the only way I can play in time and have dropouts kept to a reasonable minimum.

If I ever decide to mix through the US-1641, though, I'll probably just crank up the latency setting to high--as would also be the case if I'm recording a live performance that does not require any sort of monitoring.

I hope this helps.

Take it easy,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote