View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I'm not at all familiar with the MIDI latency of the newer modules (I believe they now use USB MIDI) but I haven't noticed any perceptible latency when playing my kit using the module sounds and headphones. I haven't measured anything though primarily because I've never felt the need to. Latency with VST instruments is no different to playing any of my VST synths from a hardware keyboard. It is totally dependant on your system and interface.

Don't rule out Superior Drummer 3. They have done a TON of work on making it natural to play from an e kit. Even SD2 has gone through many improvements and it now works extremely well from my kit. Cymbal chokes work out of the box and the hihat response is now FAR better than when it was first released. If you get that set up right on your module, it should work well with SD2 or 3. It does here on SD2.

As far as setting up triggers is concerned, I generally set the sensitivity so I get maximum MIDI velocity on my loudest hits. I then adjust the threshold and crosstalk controls to minimise false triggering from adjacent drums. That is a little trickier on my kit because I'm using two modules and they don't communicate crosstalk information between them. That means I have to use the threshold controls to minimise that and I lose a little bit of very light sensitivity. It's only really noticeable on a few kit pieces that are mounted on the rack right next to each other though. For the most part, it isn't a problem.
I owned Superior Drummer at one point. It seemed like a fine product, and Toontrack were always painless to deal with. But in the end I personally preferred the sampled kits from other companies, which is no knock on Toontrack's stuff. Just a personal preference. And the interface options were ovrerkill for my concerns. I did more fiddling in Superior than actually using it. And Ezdrummer has worked well enough for me for manually programming drums, but I really want to get away from doing that. I have come to think of the NI stuff as meh, and I will most likely sell off Komplete. I just don't use it like I thought I would. And I was more interested in Reaktor any way, which I have a separate license for. I actually still much prefer the sound of a long ago sampled Yamaha Custom kit from Reason Drum Kits over anything to date, but it was sampled long ago and therefore doesn't offer enough sample variations for velocity levels and round robin. Too bad, because the recording of those samples was superbly done to tape with a really good sounding room and mics. And Reason offers pretty much zero control over MIDI input for electronic drums. And I'm not a fan of BFD at all. I had so many buggy issues with it in the past, and I always disliked the room sounds. So I eventually arrived at using Addictive Drums, where the sampled kits sound good to me personally (although I'm not crazy about the rooms) with a decent amount of variations for velocity and round robin and really good control over MIDI input. I only wish that they offered a brushed kit for folky rock / country type stuff.

Thanks for the tips on setting up triggering.

Last edited by brainwreck; 06-09-2018 at 09:46 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote