View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #27
wilson schulbus
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
When you set up at the show, adjust each channel's gain so it is peaking about -18dBfs (just going into the yellow on the gain meters) at typical performance volume. This will leave plenty of headroom for the live mix but will also deliver a safe volume into the DAW, again with some headroom.

Don't make the rookie mistake I did on my first gig/live recording with the XR18 and have the XR18 gains too hot... The DAW recorded tracks for the first half were just about OK but in the second half, where the backline always "mysteriously" gets louder, there was lots of gain clipping on the resultant DAW tracks which made them unusable
Working with this now. I have limited things to test with so it's just an iPod into channels 1-2. Got signal and seems to record fine. I have not figured out yet how to hear back through the recording laptop but that's minor at the moment. The meters is what I need to understand based on your response. They're tiny to be sure on an 11" screen. I see a couple things. The 'docker' meters don't seem to tell me much about the input level as a number. The mixer view seems to offer a bit more detail but not a number, at least as an input value. So, is there an input gain trim adjustment somewhere I haven't found yet? Os is that done on the mixer channel gain? It seems if it has to be done at the channel that then messes with my overall house mix settings I have worked so hard to perfect. :-)
wilson schulbus is offline   Reply With Quote