View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
KevinW
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by King5 View Post
Hi All,
I have installed 3 gig of RAM into my computer. An upgrade from the 2 gig I had in my computer. I was told that just installing it would not be enough and that I needed to switch something so I was hoping someone could walk me through how to set the key switch so I can use all 3 gig of ram.
Any help greatly appreciated.
King5
Here's how I did it:
Quote:
Enable the 3GB switch on Windows XP

•Right-click My Computer. Click Properties.
•In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
•On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
•In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, under System startup, click Edit. The Windows boot.ini file will be opened in Microsoft® Notepad.
•Create a backup copy of the boot.ini file. Note: Boot.ini files may vary from computer to computer.
Select the following line in the boot.ini file:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

•Press Ctrl+C to copy the line and then press Ctrl+V to paste it immediately below the original line.
Note: Your text string may be different from the text string in this solution, so be sure to copy the text string from your boot.ini file, and not the text string included here.
Modify the copied line to include “ /3GB”, as shown in the following example:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /3GB /fastdetect

Note: Do not overwrite any existing lines.

•Save and close the boot.ini file.
•Click OK to close each dialog box.
•Restart your computer.
•During startup, select the 3GB option. If you do not select the 3GB option, the system will default to the 2GB total memory setting.
Note: If problems occur during startup, you may need to update some of your drivers.
From http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_pape...ows-vista.html

Painless, and it greatly reduced the crashes I used to get.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote