View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
Thanks for the input, but this is completely false.

Installers as far as I know DO NOT allow you to choose your VST3 location like they do with VST2s. They only ever install to the default location. I then MANUALLY move the files to a new location and tell Reaper to scan the new location.

It is simply not true that VST3s have to be in the default location in order to work. I know this because I am literally using these VST3s everyday in this manner on one of my computers while I am unable to do the same on another.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes of course it does but the crucial part of this is that as well as redirecting reaper to see the VST3 in its new location, the VST3 needs to be able to deal with any change in the location of its own anciliary files, which is obviously another governing factor.
So - couple that with the strong likelihood that, just because you told Reaper where to look, the VST3 itself may well be hard coded to only work from the "official" location and only look for its anciliary files where the developer said it would find them..
The more I think about this the more it seems to me like moving VST3 plugs from where the installer specifically wants them to be is fraught with risks considering the small convenience of a shorter plugin location list...