View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 03:55 AM   #261
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
Stability-wise, win 8.1 is much better. Not the least because for Win8, the manufacturer needs to build drivers once and then they are free to improve them. With Win10, manufacturers have to test and change drivers for every major upgrade of win10. More changes introduced into driver + less time to improve and fix bugs = less stable drivers = more blue screens and weird hardware issues.

Also privacy-wise. And also performance-wise. Because win10 is a rolling release with forced updates and upgrades, and also because of forced telemetry, the system is spending much larger portion of time in maintenance, and sometimes this is happening when you are trying to use it for your purposes.
I guess it depends what you're using it for. I don't do any music on my Windows machine, and the only drivers that matter are the NVIDIA ones, which I've never had any problems with.

Can't say I've noticed any drop in performance from 8.1 to 10, if anything the OS seems a tad snappier, and stability wise I can't remember a single problem yet in 10, save for one duff update that had to be uninstalled and redone, whereas 8.1 did crash from time to time.

I turned off all that Cortina rubbish or whatever it's called, and to be honest I'm not personally bothered about the privacy stuff on that machine because it is limited to work use. I'm far more concerned about Google and GCHQ/NSA than I am about Microsoft.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote