View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #23
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

Everybody likes free stuff, but there are almost always costs that have to be covered. Hardware engineers get paid and software engineers get paid.

I use quite a bit of free & open source software but I don't run Linux because I like running certain Windows applications so I'm willing to pay $100 for the operating system. I don't "like" paying Microsoft but I do it because I'm better-off having Windows.

And regardless of cost, REAPER has value! If it wasn't worth $60 you wouldn't have it and Cockos would be out of business.

If you find a diamond in your back yard, it has value even though there was no cost.

I use quite a bit of free & open source software but I don't run Linux because I like running certain Windows applications so I'm willing to pay $100 for the operating system. I don't "like" paying Microsoft but I do it because I'm better-off having Windows.

Apples grow on trees, but they are not free.

Most "good stuff" is produced at a profit because it's worth more (to the buyer) than it costs to produce. That's the free market! The buyer and seller both benefit! You can say that the buyer & seller both "profit" because they are both better off after the transaction. When I first studied economics & business, I didn't get that... I thought there was a winner and a looser, or I thought it was break-even. But, it's not worth the trouble of making a transaction if you just break-even. So both parties have to benefit or there's no deal and no transaction will take place.

Most people have a smart phone... Your life is better because you have a smart phone and Apple's executives and shareholders are better-off because you have a smart phone. Everybody wins!

And from a marketing point of view, customers tend to think higher-priced stuff is better... If REAPER were more expensive, it would get more respect in the pro audio world! If you give something way free, it's perceived as having no value.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote