View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #14
quadrifoglio
Banned

Virtual instruments work well with their large sound libraries located on this 5400 RPM USB 3.0 disk. I find this normal, because Reaper works so well I often go to someones studio and forget to copy my project but use it directly from USB 2.0 stick, and after few hours of recording I realize that I recorded all tracks directly to USB where I initially prepared my project.
This 5400 RPM USB 3.0 bandwidth is not good as some internal WD Black, but it should be good enough to stream from it 10 audio files 44.1 khz and 16 bit. However, we use system SSD for our testing just to be sure.

The problem with audio is with pre-recorded tracks, as well when we turn on Record Arm on just one track, Reaper starts crackling.
I have noticed this on my system if I Record Arm more than 20 tracks, but I suppose this is normal.

1. Pre-recorded audio is the same samplerate and bit depth.
2. Pre-recorded audio is on both disks, external USB 3.0 and system SSD, and both acts the same.
3. Pre-recorded audio is wave 44.1 khz and 16 bit.
4. We both run High Sierra 10.13.2.

The story about 44.1 khz and 16 bit dates back then when we used Pro Tools, and then every bit of performance was needed because Pro Tools was the best and worst DAW in history.
So, we are familiar with everything you ask because we know all about DAW gremlins because Pro Tools was (and still is) a champion in this area.
Now, we simply do not think about samplerate and bit depth because there is no need for those low latencies and when it comes to better sounding audio, well we do not want to go that route if you understand what I am saying.
However, we use 32 samples and less just to check this problem, because I use Reaper for more than 6 years and I almost never change buffer size because I need more performance, for me Reaper works flawlessly no matter I tested 16 samples yesterday and forgot to change it back to my usual 64 samples setup, it is simply bullet-proof. And the same is with few other friends I converted to Reaper, they work and they enjoy it, it simply works. This is the first time we have some problems with it.

The only thing we did not try is to install new High Sierra. It has no sense because Logic and Studio One, even Pro Tools works fine, also Mac OS is so simple when it comes to installation, there is no registry or any other Windows complication. Still, we will try this soon because there is nothing else we can try, and no one from Cockos support is answering our emails.
quadrifoglio is offline   Reply With Quote