View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkInProgress23 View Post
I am also a bit lost when it comes to what buffer/sample/latency should be, and how much they should be raised for tracking instruments? Currently my ASIO config shows request sample rate at 44100 and request block size at 256.
It sounds like you are setting the block size in Reaper's audio device preferences. Right below that setting is the "ASIO configuration" button. Click it to access your devices control panel and that's where you should make those settings.

256 samples is usually pretty good for tracking, but lower is better if you don't get noise or dropouts. 512 is manageable but I really start to notice the latency and I only go higher than that in big, cpu heavy projects. The control panel setting might be measured in milliseconds instead of samples on your device.

Either way, that's where you set the buffer size (unless it's not possible; then continue using Reaper's settings). Sample rate is fine at 44.1k or 48k, but the benefits of going higher than that are a matter of debate and you are unlikely to need or notice them under normal circumstances. The main goal of these settings is to achieve the lowest latency your computer can handle with the highest fidelity. It's common to change the buffer size regularly, depending on what you're doing.