View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
MaXyM
Human being with feelings

Initially I wanted to report a minor issue of stable version: applying DPI scale to scrollbars requires Reaper restart, while for other GUI elements a theme reload is enough.

However playing with dev0707 build to verify if it's already fixed, I found several theming related issues:

1. developed changes affects themes marked as version 5. It would be nice if v5 themes remain unaffected (unless subjected changes are not fixes/improvements)
2. strange behaviour of global_scale (from theme) vs DPI scale (in prefs). It seems like:
- the greater DPI scale the bigger ALL GUI objects
- the greater global_scale the smaller fonts, volume sliders and toolbar icons. Also areas marked by pink lines (probably yellow too) are being smaller
3.Unless I'm missing something, toolbar icon are displayed in pixel size multiplied by OS dpi setting. So if toolbar icon is bigger (ie 2x bigger than default) to maintain image quality, than it's displayed as huge image (350%). Leaving toolbar icons with default pixel sizes will result with blurred images. toolbar_blank size controls only a few icons from midi editor. But not others, incl. main toolbar.
4. value 1.0 of dpi scale an global_scale disables usage of those parameters instead of setting 1.0. I would decouple their values from fact of usage.

I'm aware and thankful for development toward hidpi/big screens compatibility. I found, that Reaper 0707 takes Windows dpi settings into account. It automatically scales everything to the scale (in my case its 175%) when global_scale and DPIscale are disabled. Finally scaling volume sliders has been added. Even pink lines too!! wow. I knew it needs a change, even if WT claimed opposite

PS. At the end of posting I'm having idea that #3 is an attempt to mimic the same look of v5 theme with system dpi scale taken into account. But it doesn't result with the same appearance. Anyway I'm assuming it might be result of some intentional development prior to final version.

with regards

Last edited by MaXyM; 07-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote