View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #376
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

I don't think you tried to bash at all and I understand what you are saying... The OS wars seems to have died down on the forums after cockos made a linux version, before when it was discussed we used to have long threads on the drawbacks of linux, the same about os/x before a port was published.

Though I think that anyone that wants to embark on a linux journey for audio (or anything else on linux for that matter) ought to be aware that things might be different, and some learning is required. Otherwise just don't try it at all..!

IMO linux is a kick ass OS, and marvellous for the tinkerer. You can customize it in so many ways that they appear to be completely different OSs. In a certain manner this is probably why there are so many distros that try to make things easier for the user. But you can install a basic system and then handpick the components you want to use, no need to be spoonfed either

Though I do think that there is no intrinsic need in using the command line It ought to be perfectly possible to install an ubuntu, add the kxstudio repos and install a load of software for working with audio without touching the command line at all. Probably possible to extract reaper from a gui too, but yes reaper could have a gui installer, or be installed from the package manager. Though I know that cockos doesn't want it to be packaged by distros yet, and prefers it to be downloaded from lol (so probably someday).

But one ought also to be aware that there might be disadvantages, like lacking hardware support, or having to run your usb soundcard in class compatible mode with no dsp or mixer control, availability of plugins (or tinkering to get them working), or god forbid, even having to open up a terminal and paste something from you google result.

If I had to work professionally with audio, I'd probably be using windows or os/x, and maybe even not reaper depending on the boss or client. As a hobbyist, bob is my uncle and reaper for linux is the dogs bollocks
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote