View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #988
maxdis
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
This is true for any existing software.
This is true but, if for example, let's say Steinberg one day decided to stop supporting Cubase, all the whole DAW would stop working at a precise OS update, there would be no strange and sudden bugs in some specific features, besides all the users would be warned in time and would be able to look for alternatives. Certainly there will always be VSTs that will stop being supported by their developers, this is a common problem for all DAWs, but I believe that in Reaper there are too many features scattered among external developers, and this could create many problems. Personally I try to use as few scripts and extensions as possible, but periodically I notice strange bugs, actions that no longer work as before, settings that have changed mysteriously; in this forum there are people who use dozens and dozens of customizations and extensions, building entire workflows around them, and I wonder how reliable this can be, when there are so many variables that can interact in unpredictable ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
My solution is to create a portable configuration and don't update it if it already does what you need.
Certainly, but what if a new version comes out with some important bug fixes, or with some new features that could be very useful for your workflow?
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote