View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
galaxy_beef
Human being with feelings

Default Presets

For a lot of things like this, I find it comes down to the interface and usability of the plugin. I just use the slate reverb (Verbsuite) and delay (Repeater) because I like the feel of their plugins and I subscribe to their suite. I'm sure I could get good results with any other reverb plugin, but I'd rather work with what I know. I'm sure valhalla reverb is dope, but it's probably not going to get me anywhere that I couldn't get with Verbsuite and some tweaking.

I've also noticed that I used to consider plugins 'good' or 'bad' based on their presets, and I'm sure that's where a lot of plugins get judged. For example, if I use a 'male vocal' preset from two different eq's, the one that happens to work better for my voice might be considered 'better', but once you get comfortable tweaking things on your own, it seems to matter a lot less.

Edit: I'd like to clarify that reverb is not a huge part of my mixes, and I don't spend a lot of time with them. I'm sure other people don't find the same value in having different amp cabinets to chose from for recording heavy guitar tones. It all comes down to your personal style and preference.