View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
ngarjuna
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer View Post
Its a test case yes, both AU version, (Fabfilter Q and C) two per track, its the same plugins on all tracks. So there is no offending plugins, just bad performance pr se. The case is that Reaper seems to require a*lot of system resources. I have used Reaper since 2007, so this is not nothing I invent to put shit out there. I have a lot of project in Reaper as well- Buffer size is 128.

Not tried the offending project yet. I am just telling that I see some bad signs on performance on Reaper for MACs, and its annoying if you donīt have a machine that has a certain speed. Normally, my track count is lower, so I have been able to live with it.
Well we might have to agree to disagree on that, 50 tracks + 100 plugins for 16%app/20%user doesn't seem like "bad performance" to me. You say that Logic handles the same project more efficiently which I don't doubt but for a project that size I don't see how that CPU load is considered objectionable. Considering AU is native to Logic it doesn't surprise me that Logic can more efficiently handle a 100 AU plugin load. My experience is that VSTs can save you 25-50% of the load of the exact same AU. Since the plugins you listed are all AU/VST I would personally try the same 50 track project with 2 instances per track of the VST of the Fabfilter plugins; I believe it will be lighter (whether it will be the same as the Logic project I can't tell you).

The GPU problem in the original post does seem like a performance problem but, as I said, that's far more likely a matter of an offending plugin(s) (or perhaps the overall plugin load, it really depends a lot on exactly what plugins are doing what and where) so I'm not sure that test is demonstrating bad performance in REAPER either, although it still might be. If you can eliminate the plugins from the picture or, more realistically, figure out which one is throwing a fit at low latency you may even be able to find a workaround for that plugin (running it in a resource sandboxed mode or something like that).
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote