View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #20
Mr. PC
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
You see the problem I have with the songs (mix wise and also style wise) is I don't know what to listen to! When the music is this "free flowing", the mix should be really tight!

You said you don't like to compress the drums much. I think the problem with that is you'd need a SUPER solid drummer for that. And while I can hear that the people in your band can play, there's still so much going on constantly, that the playing is going to be "spotty" (too dynamic). It becomes very "mushy" quite fast! I think some of it could be fixed somewhat easily with a compressor and some EQ:ing. Some with perhaps some re-arranging!

There's this very "library music" feel to your stuff (which I dig) but it feels like all the instruments are trying to play solo at the same time and this leads to very crowded songs which are going to be harder to mix!

If you dig Zappa, perhaps listen to his records as a reference. You can ALWAYS hear the melody, even if it's chaotic!

Just my random thoughts before going to bed! Hopefully they're of some use to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
If you kind of fancy that idea, try to use one mic right above the kick drum rim, beater side, pointing downwards, and another mic, more distant of course, for air and ambience. Needless to say that you "gently squash" the drum buss – but you'll hear what to do with those signals. I like it a lot in the right context.
Maybe I made up the term; when he rolls the kick. Like a snare roll, but sometimes he does quiet little rolls, or often triplets, on the kick, and they get buried in the mix.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote