Thread: Lanes limit?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #33
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miul View Post
Here is my video, a bit longer than yours, but hopefully it clarify all my thought about comping in reaper in a more empirical way.

https://youtu.be/i1wv0uNPMFc
I've only gotten through 1/2 the video but will say...

1. Your idea about making individual lanes bigger and the track itself bigger if needed, I agree is a good feature for those who want that - my only point is that I think stacked lanes is a very messy way of working no matter where, as per your video it is also messy and requires scrolling etc. even in S1 - it may not be as messy but it is still messy once you have lots of takes:

2. I don't understand why you are splitting in order to re-record some sections, it works just like any other DAW, you select the time area you want to punch, set record to "record auto punch time selection" and it does the rest for you. Did I misunderstand? I can show how to do this (sometime) as collapsed and be zero problems.

Back to collapsing, I don't use collapsed because reaper is messy, I use collapsed because ANY DAW stacking takes top to bottom like that is messy by its very nature and the more takes/punches you do the more messy it is to deal with. I cold do 1000 takes with collapsed and never be messy or scroll or resize the track, try that with lanes.

Edit: Something I find ironic is people don't seem to mind (and beg for) collapsed when they want collapsible/editable folders which is in many ways the exact same thing. Not directed at you but general observation.

Thank you for the video, it certainly introduces humanity and better understanding when we can hear others speak - it was nice hearing you explain with spoken vs typed words. At some point I will try to do a video but unfortunately the current set of projects I'm working on all require single performances and comping and fixing mistakes is not allowed!

I'll try to review the rest of the video later.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-20-2018 at 07:44 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote