View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Spon
Human being with feelings

I suppose I didn't clearly distinguish "broken" from "partially built", which I see as different than "not built (or designed) yet".

The whole notion of how to deal with initializing MIDI when playing, in various ways, including loops, is not finished, and it seems to be getting finished by bug fixes rather than systemic thought - but that could be just the visible surface. REAPER moves fast.

A third of the MIDI loop bugs I read of aren't bugs in any programming sense, they are either requests to expand a feature or make it work differently than it does. This includes the whole record-overdub mess.

The biggest thing for me that doesn't work in MIDI is the ability to initialize an instrument - to create and save the MIDI data necessary to have an instrument (hardware as well as VSTi) play properly when I push play. Without this it's just impractical to use MIDI at all. When I call up a song to play, all the instruments have different keyboard setups, different soundbanks loaded, different performance settings, most certainly not the controller and FX tweaks particular to that song. And currently REAPER can't do anything about it except send the instruments MIDI files I've prepared in Cakewalk.

But it sure doesn't look like a bugfix.

And I think it a closely related issue, and one intimately related to looping properly, that REAPER also know what to do with this setup info when a MIDI file is played in the middle, or looped.

So I guess I don't think MIDI loop recording CAN be fixed with bugfixes.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote