View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
kodebode
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
If you don't use any 64 bit plugins at all you could disable "x64 VST bridging/firewalling" in the Reaper install dialog and it should only load the 32 bit versions of the plugins I guess.

edit:
I know this doesn't really adress the actual topic, just as a 'workaround idea'.
I tried this but it resulted in Reaper not loading the 64 bit Waves plugins.

Somehow the way the Waves update works with DAW's, breaks Reaper's default discovery methods. With Waves you have a master DLL which Reaper interrogates, to discover a "virtual dll", its the only plugin I know which uses this intermediate process.

As I'm quite happy with the workaround, especially with the caveats I have become aware of about the officially unsupported plugin formats (which includes VST2 and 32 bit), I can live with this anomaly, as all the VST2 and 32 bit plugins work ok.

In my case this was achieved by excluding the Waves 64bit VST2 directory from the Reaper VST search path, as mentioned earlier.

The key achievement is I can now recall all my projects without any snags. Relief. Lessons learned, all software updates however innocuous are fraught with risk.

May I congratulate the Reaper community and developers on a very stable DAW, whatever the bugs and missing features. This forum is also a Reaper asset - try getting help on any other "closed" DAW forum.....

Having a DAW that can run for days, and weeks on end without crashing is unprecedented. In my cases sometimes over a month on lots of projects in parallel, on the same Reaper instance, without a crash, and usually after several weeks, I just close the projects, and restart the computer - cos I know there are obviously unavoidable memory leaks from human error in the coding of one or more of the apps or drivers on Windows - but this is not a problem from Reaper, rather the reality of running software that is not written to be mission critical (which category all Windows apps fall into - not being used to run any real time solutions like a heart machine or a nuclear power station).

I'll reclassify this thread as "RESOLVED"

Last edited by kodebode; 12-07-2017 at 06:01 PM.
kodebode is offline   Reply With Quote