View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
If you're only working on the audio part I'd just render the audio out and let the audio/video combining part do the video editors, this way you'd save a conversion (if I understand correctly).
Agreed. Hopefully no video rendering is even necessary.

But in terms of going in to Resolve, I assume you've seen this.

I've had success generating level 4 H.264 MP4's on the way in to resolve, but the ones generated with ffmpeg in linux seem to offend it. The ones I make with Handbrake in Windows work.

In terms of lossless, at least with some version of Resolve (not sure about current) I was able to do it with uncompressed MOV 8bit RGB, and in theory one could also do 10bit RGB, or YUV 8 or 10 bit. The linux ffmpeg encode command (adaptable for whatever version of ffmpeg) for raw 8-bit RGB would be:

Code:
ffmpeg -i sourcevideo.xyz -c:a copy -c:v rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24 output_for_resolve.mov
Of course such files are huge and must be on a fast disk for playback. Hopefully you don't really need to make them in the first place.

I don't know if any of that is applicable to reaper's video rendering output options; I'd guess you'd want to do the video rendering part separately.

H.264 can theoretically do lossless encoding, but I've never had any success trying it (seems totally unsupported by players, etc.)

Anyway, hopefully it's moot.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote