View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Gypsysinger
Human being with feelings

Default Great info!

Awesome!... thanks XITE-1/4LIVE this is exactly the type of information I'm looking for.

This gives me a good starting point for recreating the brightness and space. Do you think a plate reverb is being using with CLA's supposedly famous formula of 150-200ms pre delay, 1/4 note delay timed to the music and 166ms tape slap here?

The real thing that stumps me is that low fuzzy growl. I'm guessing there's an EQ boost somewhere from 300- 500 Hz but then what? Is there some form of saturation being used to get that sound along with compression? Maybe done on a separate track and then mixed to taste? Any ideas?

Oh and thanks for the live gear recommendations. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
You won't need a U87 or 5000 mic pre to take that sound to a live venue.
A Shure KSM8, FMR RNP Mic Pre, Hardware Multiband Compressor and a TC Fireworx.
About 2,000 USD.

The particular separation you hear is the multiband comp.
The "Space" can be emulated by a Reverb with Sidechain Ducking followed by a Gate.
I use ducking FX on vocalists live and automate their FX from my keyboard.
Been doing this for 30 years starting with the Alexis MIDI FX, then graduating to pro level hardware FX.

A used Fireworx goes for 400 USD.
I use a pair cascaded and the manual actually provides an example for ducking.

Ducking allows the "effect" to become inaudible until the audio signal goes below the threshold.

If you're a singer you'll love these old engineering tricks once learned.
You've got a good ear to describe the sound mentioned.
Do this yourself in software first, then Im sure you'll agree.
Reaper has all the tools you need except the transparent mic pre and Dual diaphragm KSM8.

Last edited by Gypsysinger; 07-10-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Gypsysinger is offline   Reply With Quote