View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #48
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
I thought everyone was in agreement on the symptom and that this really happens...
It looks for the file automatically just fine as per my test, if the file is in the root of the project folder (even though it previously lived in say /media) it finds and loads it and the user will never know anything went wrong, yay.

However, if it is not in the root of, or the defined media folder you have the choice to tell reaper to recursively search from any location you wish. So think about that, it's not in the project folder, or the file missing dialog would never have popped up. There is no sanity (beyond convenience/familiarity) in it beginning with the project folder, reaper already knows the file isn't there!

What's most important about the ask, is the user experience of that particular "folder browser" dialog, when navigating to the path you want it to search. That's why he called it folder diving; I'm familiar with that pain in other low level legacy apps, total pain in the ass to use because there are few options, no left navigation pane and it can't even be resized.

One other tidbit, if it isn't in the project folder (because Reaper checks by default), there is already a worthwhile chance the user has no idea and may want to actually start at the root of the file system or other location. Also, since there is a Search feature and a manually load file feature, we MUST assume if using search, you don't know where the file is, if that is the case, where you gonna start searching? You might have an idea and want to search some folder but if using search, you are saying you don't know exactly where the file is.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-16-2017 at 09:45 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote