View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #63
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
How would you do it? I don't know of a way other than a logical hierarchy like every OS does - and the literal analog of filing cabinets pre computers. Always made perfect sense to me other than this one dialog being aggravating. I'm sure my view is different, been in computers since the 80s but most of these issues never really hit me personally, maybe I have the computer kavorka. I know I have a built in knack for computers but certainly it can't be that much more than the average person.

I will say there are some who never really invest time to learn the tool (OS, Reaper whathaveyou), not saying you at all.... which causes pretty much constant frustration taken out on whoever created the tool. That doesn't excuse all software and bad coding obviously, but knowing the tool is as important as knowing the craft. That's just an OT observation but I simply don't see how some can live like that, in constant darkness and frustration so to speak. That usually makes someone, somewhere mad when I say that but it does exist.
What I don't like is the way they do libraries, and organize sort of defaults, and how they hierarchy they build is. Also how they set it up so that new computers automatically install with all the "user" folders on the same partition as windows. It's just all a mess. The way that if you do a search in explorer, it brings you to "search world" which is cut off from everything else, and you can't just navigate from wherever the found files are, and don't get me started with the way they try to push metro on you.
Some of it is fine, like "Program files" and "windows" and "system" and the way they let you bookmark those is great. The pinned "favourites" is also great. But everything else they try and make you do, is all disorganized and ridiculous, imo. Especially given they put all your User information on the windows partition. That doesn't even make a lick of sense. I get it there might be some technical reason they did it that way, but logically speaking, you want all your documents and stuff like that, on the separate partition and all your operating software on the windows one.

The basic folders thing is sensible, and every computer I've ever used worked that way. It's the way they organized everything that bothers me. everything in the left pane of explorer, except for the basic drives, and favourites. They even have Desktop twice, as in everything is in desktop, and then there's the actual desktop.

It's like they don't have a solid plan of how the OS should be used, and go off that.

I think a lot of that is to do with building off older versions, but still, it could be better, imo.