View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #61
cerendir
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
Sounds like it fails some update and tries again and again. It's not the only explanation but the most likely one. If you don't want to reinstall, you can check update history, identify the failing update and try to install it manually. You can look up the update on microsoft's site by its KB number, then download and install it.
I'm not sure how this works in Win 10, but I have not received any notifications about updates failing to install. Usually I wake up to a notification saying "Updates were installed" or something like that. So I would need to check out the update history to determine whether something has gone wrong?

Quote:
Also running an AV scan such as malwarebytes and adwcleaner should not hurt if you haven't yet.
The machine is 100% malware free, checked it just a few days ago just to be sure. I don't really use it for much beyond running Netflix these days so I don't see how it could have been afflicted with any nasties.

Quote:
It is also a good idea to check disk health. you can use the free gsmartcontrol tool for that.
I haven't run any disk checks on the machine for a few months, there wasn't any errors last time I checked, and if there is now it's likely because Win 10 has updated/thrashed/rebooted my hdd to death