View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #26
andyp24
Human being with feelings

OK, I just managed to load up a copy of Reaper on my laptop and opened UncleSwede's project.

That's using a MIDI synth for the tracks, so I swapped it out for a downloaded test tone. I muted the track with the delay on it, so I'm looking just at the output of the "child" track in the folder.

Result: VCA fader at 0, output of first child track = a steady -3.2dB (which is the test tone level)
VCA fader at -6dB, output of first child track = a steady -15.2dB, so the volume reduction is doubled, as would happen with a "normal" folder track.

I think what's going on here is that when you're listening to a MIDI instrument which is an insert FX on the track, the "volume down by 6dB" command from the VCA is ignored (because it is a pre-fader gain trim, effectively, which makes no sense when related to MIDI data) and so only the "6dB down" of the audio passing through the folder is heard. For the audio send from the MIDI track, that is a Post-Fader send, so the "6dB down" command from the VCA does affect it, and that audio doesn't go through the folder, so that's its total reduction as well. Thus they stay in balance. But when it's AUDIO on the track, the folder VCA DOES turn it down 6DB before it gets routed to the folder and then down 6dB again AT the folder level.

I don't think this works differently from making a "normal" folder tbh

Haven't tried karbomusic's project yet.

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote