View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #3421
NextLevel
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Just a thought. What if you had some VST or JSFX midi plugin that output midi CC values for an LFO. These then learnt to a fader in faderbox. How would that affect timing when adjusting playback rate?
As far as MIDI goes, I need something with more granularity(floating point 0.0-1.0 vs MIDI's integer 0-127). Plus I tend to avoid MIDI producing plugins inside of REAPER like the plague.

On the surface MIDI producing vsti can seem as though they are functioning properly, but make a few renders of the same passage and you'll start to notice things like notes not starting on time or overlapping, or being cut short, even ghost notes. You might make 3 or 4 renders of the same part and everything appears fine, but then on the 5th render boom! an error appears in the data. That kind of uncertainty drives me crazy!

If you're doing stuff with very little MIDI data being generated and at low tempo or playrates you might get lucky and not have these issues.

These issues arise because MIDI is being processed inside the audio thread, which is supposed to be a good thing with vsti for sync/timing issues, however something is horribly wrong.

Users have complained about MIDI issues for years! There has been some improvements and I know there are some preference settings that can help with some of these issues but they don't always work or they conflict with other settings such as in a live low latency vs rendering scenario.

One of the coolest MIDI plugins ever, Obscurium by Sugar Bytes can be a nightmare to work with inside RESPER.

...end rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Thinking out loud - it might be easier to find something or create something in JSFX to do this?? If you think this might work - then I'll look into sometime. No idea how easy to implement an input transfer function - but might be possible.
I thought I hand found almost the perfect solution awhile back with a script by KawaCat.

With this you could even capture envelope data and store it in one of the custom slots. However the custom slots didn't seem to recall the data when closing and re-running the script. Plus it would crash when trying to collect even a moderate amount of data points. I was going to try and contact him about it however there is a bit of a language barrier plus the HUGE turnoff is that he obfuscates the code in his scripts.

Anyway if you wanted to give something like this a try, that would be awesome!

Here are a some ideas:

1) I think I would get rid of the dot traveling through the curve and perhaps just have a moving fader like the one in the snapshots dialog of the Stripper.

2) As for working with multiple parameters, I guess the best thing would be a way to just display one curve at a time. As a side note, I wouldn't expect this thing to handle a lot of parameters, maybe 5-10 at the most.

3) Assignments could be done via 'last touched param.' api. which might be better than importing the plugins list of params for a couple of reasons.
1-Some plugs have a huge amount of params.
2-The params. aren't always labeled properly or at all, so searching through a list is useless.

4) Options for triggering would include:
a. single shot
b. looped
c. continue - what I mean by this is that if a trigger is released before a cycle is complete and then another trigger is received, the cycle then continues from where it left off.
d. Options to trigger via MIDI note or upon transport play, or a button within the UI.
e. Sync or free running.

5) Ability to export to a selected envelope.

6) Not so important, but would be pretty cool --- an input box for custom math formulas.

...anyway, sorry for such a long post.

Cheers!

Last edited by NextLevel; 07-17-2017 at 06:16 PM.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote