View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #22
cyrano
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
None of these devices have ever been stressed in the same way that desktops have been for audio. Processor architectures are not interchangeably performant either - even with the same instruction set, as can be see with the x86 wars between Intel and AMD over the years.
I don't agree. There are literally millions of devices out there running on ARM. And some of those are used in DSP applications.

It all depends on the software. And Apple has pulled off such a transition twice before, without too much trouble for the end-user.

Quote:
I predict 5 years of blaming Native Instrument et al for not "optimising their code for the new Mac architecture" or similar. Maybe the processors will be better/faster out of the gate though! Anything's possible, including disaster (for audio, an insignificant blip in terms of profit for Apple).
That sure is possible. It's already happening with USB in 10.13.4. So you don't even need an ARM processor to find trouble.

I personally don't see any reason to favour Intel. They've been bad enough, with bugs and unreliable patches. Besides, Intel has seen a tremendous braindrain, lately.

The ARM platform isn't loaded with a gorilla in the room. Intel will do anything to keep their almost monopoly. ARM is just a license. Any manufacturer can go shopping for silicon anywhere. Of course, Apple makes their own chips. But still, they'll have several chip fabs to choose from. That means mostly good things might come out of it.

IF software devs follow.

And maybe the current hiccups in Apple's software development are there because they're busy with something else? Don't forget Tiger was already running on Intel, as a test case, long before Snow surfaced. There are rumours of OSX running on ARM in the lab...