View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #473
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tXShooter View Post
You've piqued my interest on that one. Isn't MIDI a form of OSC? I thought that I read how they were somewhat interchangeable... or is my head full of foolishness once again?
The MIDI spec was originally set out in the '80s and OSC came about in the late '90s as a technically-better alternative. Obviously MIDI continues to be on top, and an updated MIDI spec is going through testing/approval/etc right now.

The protocols are completely different, but I think a lot of information can be translated fairly easily. OSC offers higher resolution and few other things MIDI can't do.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/introduction-osc

Quote:
That being brought up, do you know of anyway to communicate with a device via OSC?
I've never had occasion to look into it. The script API only gives us:

Code:
reaper.OscLocalMessageToHost(string message, optional number valueIn)
Send an OSC message directly to REAPER. The value argument may be NULL. The message will be matched against the default OSC patterns. Only supported if control surface support was enabled when installing REAPER.
You can also get some information if the script was run via an OSC command using reaper.get_action_context().