View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #3
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Great to hear that Forte works good for you.

I once installed their test drive and played with it for a while. I did not see any stability problems, but I read that other users in fact did face those.

But I found Forte by far not versatile enough for my needs, and when I happened to get to know Reaper I switched at once. (Moreover Reaper is a lot cheaper and also can perfectly be used as a standard DAW for recording and mixing without me running though a completely new learning curve.)

In fact it's not exactly easy to set up Reaper as a live VST player, but happily there is SWS "LiveConfigs" (for which I wrote an extended User Guide) but once you know how to handle this, you can make Reaper do any trick you like. And the stability and performance of Reaper has been pointed out rather often. So I am happily using Reaper for live performance in my (mini-) studio and on stage with my band since some years.

Regarding your question I fear that combining Forte with Reaper (e.g. via Rewire or similar routing options) will cause more problems, than doing the task in Reaper alone (which will be doable with the help of this forum). Regarding Forte "Scenes": exactly this is what LiveConfigs offers (but a lot more versatile, as you can do your own realtime scripts to define any necessary action). On top of that, I did a set of Reaper plugins that can be used to step the "Scenes" in the context of a song / song-List in a versatile way - allowing for spontaneous variations. This might - or might not - be interesting.

Sorry, but Reaper does not react on Program Change Midi events "out of the box". But in fact this is what I do in my live setup (and which is described in the updated "LiveConfigs" User Guide). Here you need to understand how Reaper works under the hood, and you need at least two Midi-plugins and LiveConfigs. In fact the way this is done is not switching "project tabs", but muting and unmuting tracks (this is what LiveConfigs does for you).

Of course Reaper 64Bit does have a built-in 32 Bit "Bridge" and can be set to feed 64 output channels.

Please come back with any questions, if you need to know how Reaper can do what you want it to.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-17-2017 at 06:11 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote