View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #13
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausbert View Post
1 - Does Reaper have better performance?
2 - Is there a list with compatible Windows plugins? Do they perform better than in Windows?
3 - What is the recommended distro to install Reaper ?
I should say first: I'm not an expert in Linux. But I can give you my opinion anyway.

1) Reaper has better performance for me in Linux than in Windows. That's not why I switched to Linux though, and it shouldn't be the reason you switch to Linux either. (I was willing to accept worse performance in Linux than Windows. I was however surprised to get better performance in Linux.)

2) There isn't "a list" of plugins. You'll find people talking about plugins on various forums, and you'll find some people making lists on websites. Nothing is complete. It's changing all the time. Also if you mean "are there Linux plugins which are the equivalent of Windows plugins", sometimes yes there are (or at least there are reasonable substitutes). My advice is to list all the plugins you use, the ones you consider important to you, and ask if there are plugins which can substitute those in Linux. We'll help if we can.

3) Which distro you use depends on what you consider important. I choose distros for these reasons:

-I want them to be relatively up-to-date, including security patches,
-I want the OS to be responsive/quick (not using too much CPU...I don't care about menu animations etc.)
-I want it to be well supported and "mature", less likely to have problems.

For these reasons I chose distros which use XFCE as the desktop environment (DE). Xubuntu and Mint (XFCE version) are my choices.

You can also get a distro that's more audio-specific. I don't mind setting up the distro for audio though. All I really have to do is: swap the kernel for a realtime one (looking for linux-lowlatency in the package manager), install qjackctl, install rtirq-init and make some changes to the rtirq file (naming my specific audio card in the file). However you might want to have a lot of software pre-installed for audio use in Linux. That's when an audio-specific distro would be more appealing. Check if the particular audio distro you're considering is more up-to-date compared to a more mainstream distro, and read some reviews (distrowatch.com is a good site for comparing distro information).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote