View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #56
Lunar Ladder
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
So; whether you use no colour (hardware), red-black (cables) or green-red (software) comes down to whether you expect REAPER to behave as a piece of software or as a representation of a piece of hardware.
Ah, thanks for bringing this to attention. The red-green nautical/aeronautics scheme was all new to me. The whole thing, software included, isn't as simple as you put it there though. When the scheme you describe as "cables" is in use, it's red for right and black or white or blue for left. Most commonly. (The red/white combo is very common also in cables indeed.) The common thing for these is, it's always red for right.

Funny how much subjective experiences make a difference in the feeling how common something is, as I've seen examples of this scheme in many places: Wavelab and other Steinberg stuff (red for right, blue for left), Pyramix (red for right, white for left), Sony recorders and if I recall correctly some Zooms (red for right, white for left, in the faceplate, not for cable connectors), some mixers, and so on.

But it's just my subjective experience indeed. The "red for left" red/green standard stemming from the nautical world is in use in a load of software, no doubt. I can't help myself, for me personally, in the audio realm the scheme of red being right feels much more familiar, through exposure through the years

Last edited by Lunar Ladder; 10-20-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote