View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
audiomath
Human being with feelings

The adventure so far:

(1) Thunderbolt is a HUGE PITA to get working on a PC, at least this particular one. After spending all of Saturday on it I have the Quantum working (apparently) fine, but the stupid machine won't shut down - If you tell it to shut down it appears to just log off. This is after a drive wipe and clean legal install of Windows 10 Home.

(2) No interface-based monitor is going to take some getting used to. I "get" the concept, it's just different. 32 samples latency @ 44.1 with one track works fine... I haven't had time yet to try more than that because of the ThunderBolt War.

(3) The default recording metronome in Reaper is sounding nasty... Not a clean click like I remember, more like a short noise impulse. Don't know what's going on there.

(4) I've avoided comment about subjective audio quality from the Quantum yet, since I'm still in the throes of getting the interface working on a Windows PC. I will say this, though - if you want ThunderBolt working on a PC without spilling quarts of blood, buy one that already has it loaded and tested. Hopefully it will get better in time, because while Macs are fine and dandy, I don't want to have to support both Mac and PC.

(5) I may be talking to the wind, but it's at least possible someone may get some benefit out of this down the road.

More later.
audiomath is offline   Reply With Quote