View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #105
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I figure most people who are comfortable with Windows and OSX (and are not used to CLI), and are switching to Linux, will want some kind of Ubuntu distro. I personally wanted to avoid Canonical since I'd been considering Ubuntu variants around 2012 (that year I briefly ran Mint to give Linux a try for the second time), and I didn't exactly like what they were doing with Unity. I decided if it's feasible I'll just steer clear of Canonical. What they did isn't exactly on the level of Microsoft, and they removed those "features", but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Around that time a friend was trying Red Hat (I think). He decided to compile it all. Lol. What a nightmare. I warned him. That experience soured him on Linux for a while.
I was fully aware of the 2012 privacy issues when I installed Xubuntu, but had used a fork called "MythBuntu" since 2015 which was a pre-configured Ubuntu with MythTV server functionality.

Shortly after setting up a MythBuntu server for whole house DVR, they retired MythBuntu and suggested Xubuntu with MythTV as a replacement, which I setup early in 2016. That system has been running 24/7 now for almost three years and the only maintenance I ever have to do is dealing with channel guide issues from Zap2It Listings.

Since I already knew my way around Xubuntu somewhat, I tried it first on my DAW, but then thought I should explore some of the other distros, so I spent a month and a half trying different distros including Arch, Manjaro xfce, and AVLinux.

Manjaro stayed on my machine the longest, but since I use my DAW as a general purpose machine too, there were just too many programs that I previously had working perfectly in Xubuntu that I might still be trying to get working today.

I programmed back in the DOS days of the 80s and early 90s, so I am not intimidated by a terminal window, BUT I much prefer to work in a graphical environment. I will navigate graphically to a folder and then right click it to open a terminal there, rather than typing 40 or so characters to CD to the same place. I rolled like that in Windows too.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote