View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #27
Arpegia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post

I'm taking a hard look at Logic X as my "go to" DAW. In terms of basic, systemic performance, it runs like a horse. There is a learning curve I'm not looking forward to. I know I will immediately run into regrets in terms of features missed in Reaper that I have come to take for granted.

So, before I sign the divorce papers...is there any last ditch thing I can do to save this marriage?
I am surprise to read that because I sign divorce papers with Logic 6 month ago to married to Reaper. And i am so happy with it now. I know Logic very well and I did all what I could to get the best performance with heavy Plugins like Acustica.
If I move to Reaper, it's not because I will get better CPU performances for Plugins, but because it's easier to get a large warm sound. Logic sound is punchy but without warm deep and hight smooth.

I am a professional composer and I need a very stable DAW which can support lot of Plugins and lot's of tracks with movie etc... Then, I couldn't stand to have worse performances with Reaper. And I don't have.
I took a long time to find the right settings in Reaper to get the same Logic performances.

The 2 main things I can tell you is :

1- Turn off "Multi-threading" in your Mac. If you don't, you will get scratch and crack very soon with barely 60% CPU usage in Reaper. (Use Xcode for switching off. I you don't know how, let me know)

2- In Reaper Preference - Buffering- Set the Media buffer size to 6000. If not, I get drop and cracks very soon

Those are MY main recommandations to get the same performances than with LOGIC.

Maybe one more advice : About Plugins : Prefer VST version. Some AU have strange behavior.

Finally, I have a very stable DAW with a very transparent sound. Easier to custom compare to LOGIC and more stable (never crash).

I hope it helps...

Last edited by Arpegia; 11-28-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Arpegia is offline   Reply With Quote