View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
hydr0
Human being with feelings

Default On-Board Yamaha MX49/61 voice list - MIDI and audio recording

Hey guys, recently bought an MX49 as a larger MIDI controller but am really impressed with the onboard samples. I want to record them as MIDI data but hear the note playback as well when I click on them, just like on a VST, to edit the MIDI notes. Unfortunately, I bought mine as a store display item without any boxes/hard copy manuals/downloads and Yamaha tells you to use Cubase AI to record onboard voices. Figuring out how to do this same thing in Reaper is giving me trouble, especially with MIDI thru and installing the voice list on my PC. But as far as hardware goes I think its correctly set up. Here are the two parts from the Reference Manual PDF for Cubase:

MIDI section:

Audio section:

Of course this would be great if I had Cubase. I'm not sure how to do the equivalent on reaper. I have set up the Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO driver as seen here

And I have the MIDI input and MIDI output set to the MX49 (I guess the closest thing to "MIDI thru."

Not quite sure what to do from here... there's no FX to select for the MX49 nor do I know how to complete step 3 on the Audio section. Reaper doesn't have separate MIDI and audio tracks and I don't know how to route them to each other. There's also no way to install the MX49 voice list onto Reaper like on Cubase.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
hydr0 is offline   Reply With Quote