View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
WorkInProgress23
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Crashing During Tracking Only

Hello, all. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, or if it's been asked before. I've been unable to find a solution based on my research.

I have been using Reaper for about 2 years with the same hardware setup. Within the last month I've experienced a new issue while tracking. Seemingly at random, while the musician is tracking, the playback of the previous tracks will simply mute for a moment or two. The visual of the currently recording track will blank out, then reappear as normal once playback resumes. When listening back, there is no skipping and all tracks sound perfectly fine, but as you can imagine this is not ideal for a musician to try to play perfectly in time while the rest of the audio pauses and starts at random. There is no issue with playback at all when not recording.

The only other detail I've noticed is that the part of the transport bar that shows "playing" along with the time of the song will flash red when the skipping begins, then return to normal when the audio resumes.

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 laptop on Windows 7 with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, and as stated I haven't had this issue while tracking in the last 2 years with this setup. I've tried moving a session to another Dell laptop on Windows 10 and noticed no issue, so I'm positive the issue is with my laptop. Reaper version is v5.95/x64 currently, and I tend to update often.

I've deleted or moved almost every file that's not necessary for my current projects, so space isn't an issue. My antivirus (Iolo) is up to date and reports no issues. I've taken it to a repair shop and was told the hard drive checked out as well as the motherboard. They found no software issues either, except a few outdated drives, but of course updating those didn't solve the issue either.

I thought maybe it was the specific project that was corrupted, or maybe the amount of tracks and fx was overwhelming my laptop. However I've now noticed this issue with a brand new project while tracking drums (5 mics). The drummer was only using 2 playback tracks (1 at a time at that) and the skipping still resumed on the single track he was playing to. So a corrupted project, or too heavy of a workload is out of the question too.

I apologize for the long read, but I wanted to include as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance if anyone has the time to look over and perhaps share if you've heard of a similar issue with Reaper.

Last edited by WorkInProgress23; 10-02-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Including reaper version
WorkInProgress23 is offline   Reply With Quote