View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #57
d.bop
Human being with feelings

Hey everyone,

I just posted this over at homerecording.com (couldn't access the REAPER website for a while..)

Anyway, I feel more at home here

----
I stopped at Home Depot yesterday to see what they had as far as bass trap material. I was going to go with R-30 bundles stacked in the corners, but the bundles are too large for my room. As I was leaving, I saw some smaller bundles of something called "Green Fiber." It's blow-in insulation but it comes in a compressed "brick." Would stacking these in the corners work well for bass traps? Here's what the website says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.greenfiber.com/techdoc.aspx?id=76
GreenFiber Cocoon Insulation is extremely effective in controlling sound transmission. This is especially true for airborne sound that is generated by traffic noise, airplanes, radios, televisions and conversation. This type of sound transmission can be significantly reduced by installation of GreenFiber Cocoon Insulation in ceilings, walls and between floors. In open attics, GreenFiber Cocoon Insulation easily molds around irregular construction and stays in place, fitting snugly against framing members and even moderate slopes.

GreenFiber’s insulation fibers have a natural tendency to trap air. It is also dense. The combination of these two characteristics provides effective noise reduction in walls and between floors.

Walls in new or existing construction that are insulated with GreenFiber Cocoon Insulation are able to suppress sound transmission much better than traditional batt materials. By completely filling spaces where sound can travel, GreenFiber Cocoon Insulation reduces the sound that can pass through gaps in batt-insulated walls.

Special effort should be taken during construction to make all walls, ceilings and floors airtight in order to eliminate any potential leaks for sound transmission. The staggering of outlets and plumbing is also recommended.
They don't have any absorption specs on their website, but the package does say R60 (though that's probably meaningless as far as acoustics go..) and it's basically made out of recycled paper.

Here is the website. http://www.greenfiber.com/

Does anyone here know if this would work well for bass trapping?

Thanks!