View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #24
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Sound Mapper is a virtual device that will take any app's need for audio, find the default audio device and map it to that. It's original intention was to allow playback of sample/bit rates that the sound card can't handle, by converting on the fly. It sometimes gets a bad rap for that however...

It also appears to do a good job of allowing multiple apps to use the same ASIO endpoint, only the app doesn't see the endpoint directly, it just sees the Sound Mapper (assuming you set it to use it). AFAIK I know, this is damn handy because you can't typically have two apps streaming to the same ASIO channels at the same time but with this setup you can.

I keep Reaper and/or any other mission critical audio apps on their own separate audio channels which is usually just reaper. I've never really been in a situation where the Sound Mapper converted audio for apps when it shouldn't nor have I have ever heard a problem - that is kind of irrelevant since I keep Reaper on a dedicated ASIO stereo pair anyway, and regular apps such as VLC, Foobar 2000 and browsers etc to sound mapper or primary sound driver. The only thing I get mixed up on is Sound Mapper vs Primary Sound Driver but I always choose those for "apps" and they can play through my ASIO card all on the same 1/2 stereo ASIO pair both simultaneously and completely separate from Reaper's audio output.

If I ever do hear a difference, I'll be the first to mention it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-17-2019 at 04:35 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote