View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
amagalma
Human being with feelings

Default I think I have found the bug that causes Melodyne lost data! (FIXED)

Familiar with this? :

1) I made a simple test project. Just one track with one media item and Melodyne loaded on it as Track FX and did some edits. The audio file was in the same directory as the project file.

2) I set to automatically backup every 1 minute.

3) Added a track FX after Melodyne.

4) I was pressing Save manually and kept closing Reaper and re-opening the project to see when the bug appears.

5) The bug appeared and then I opened the faulty project and the last working backup in Notepad++ and compared the two files..

Guess what?
These are the only lines changed between them:

Code:
Faulty project:

<REAPER_PROJECT 0.1 "6.03/x64" 1580347453
FILE "2020-01-20_0125.wav"

Code:
Working automatic backup:

<REAPER_PROJECT 0.1 "6.03/x64" 1580347446
FILE "G:\REAPER RECORDINGS\2020-01-20_0125.wav"

The additional FX was added when the project timestamp was 1580347324. Which is 129 seconds and two automatic backups before the faulty project. I do not think that it has something to do with the bug.

Looking at the differences between the two projects:

1) As you see I happened to press Save 7 seconds after the automatic backup. I think it is probable that this triggered the bug. Manually saving very close in time with the automatic backup.

2) The file is a totally valid Reaper project. Melodyne's data is not corrupted!

3) The file path is referenced relatively in the faulty project and with the full path in the backup. Actually all automatic backups (I opened all of them) do not reference the file relatively as the original file does. Should it be like that? (This is correct since the audio file path is not any more in a folder residing in the same path as the backup file)

4) I opened the faulty project in Notepad++ and changed the file reference to the absolute path and... the project opened and Melodyne had all my edits! Which means:
IN CASE YOU LOST YOUR EDITS: open the faulty project with a text editor and reference the absolute path for all affected files. You will have your edits back!

So, the truth is that I have not found what causes the bug nor the faulty code, but I hope these observations will help the devs to fix the bug, and fellow Reaper users to get their edits back.

P.S. My backup references:

Project settings:

Last edited by amagalma; 01-30-2020 at 07:30 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote