View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #396
Phroneris
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroneris View Post
Thanks Data.
Do you mean you're recommending something like... "leave GetXXEnvelopeByName() as is and establish GetXXEnvelopeByEnglishName() newly" or "give GetXXEnvelopeByName() a new optional argument to make it return its English name only if that argument is specified"?
I found my mistake. "make it read the English name" is correct. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Hi Phroneris,

no, you misunderstood I reckon (or we misunderstand each other ).

I meant that there should be no difference for the user when (s)he writes a script in whatever language. So, if for instance an English speaking user sends a script to a Japanese user, both could use it without the need of modifying anything. In your Example, if you have a function called "GetXXEnvelopeByName()" it should work in every language automatically, no matter whether the name of the envelope is in Japanese, Cyrillic, Latin or whatever characters. Otherwise there would have to be functions for each language that all would do the same. In the German version, for instance, REAPERs envelopes have German names for volume, mute, pitch etc. and the function should handle it in English, German, Japanese ... whatever.

So in my view it is the task of developers, to make these functions work in every language, if they don't do already anyway.

And just because I assume that many users who write scripts aren't developers, it should be that way, so they don't have to bother with languages, especially if they plan to spread their work around the world.

-Data
I, I'm getting confused. Because of lack of my English ability, I can no longer understand even whether we're aim to the same destination or the opposite one, sorry...
Anyway the only thing I can recognize clearly is,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
but.. making it so that Get*EnvelopeByName() search the english names first, then the localized names (but of course programmers must use the english names if they want it to work universally).
... is that this must be one of EXACTLY THE BEST solutions.
Many thanks Justin. I'm looking forward to this implementation.
And it seems okay to close this theme.