View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
earlevel
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Perhaps one thing that bothers me with the current state of WDL/IPlug is that there are number of highly talented people who make their own forks instead of joining their efforts to maintain one uber branch. I believe that would give the best benefits for whole user base. Also, it would be easier for more people to join in.
The whole weight of development would not fall entirely on one persons shoulders, but instead, everyone could do their contribution in capacity best suited for them.

Youlean, Tale, Oli, have you considered that?
I'm not sure if you speak from experience, in which case more detailed suggestions are welcome, or don't understand the magnitude of what you're asking. There are a lot of details—upkeep of support for the different plugin formats, development system and OS compatibilities, breadth of features (UI, audio, midi, etc.). It would be best if there were group design goals, and that requires commitment, organization, and agreement (probably easier if there is an original developer involved that owns the "vision", but the original developer was Cockos). Or it can be done with pull requests to a single developer, but that's the way things have run so far.

Ultimately, people are using it and forking it because they want to get plugins done, not develop a framework. I didn't want to flesh out the AAX support, I needed it. (Honestly, I would have gone with JUCE if I had known up front that AAX didn't work. this is a commercial venture, and the side development was a schedule hit.) Youlean needed resizing. Tale needed other things, but AAX wasn't one of them, so his branch doesn't work for me, etc.

I issued pull requests for my AAX changes, and some other things like arbitrary parameter control curves, to wdl-ol. It still means that Oli has to take time to see what they do, hopefully determine that that they doesn't break something else, have the design sense that he deems fit, and merge it. But some of my changes require c++11, and that's another decision with impact. I developed AAX because I needed it—now Oli needs to burn his time to implement it, even though he doesn't need it.

Anyway, not belittling your comment—it's a good point to bring up—I'm just not completely sure what it is asking for.
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote