View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Thanks for the detailed response.

I've been looking today at some tools like "dearVR pro" and the waves one and there are definitely some examples on the videos for DearVR that definitely feel behind or above me. I'm not sure yet without trying them out though whether that's the visual cues or hopefully a better use of acoustic cues from the different ear delays mixed in with later wall reflections.

I've got most GRM plugins so will check those too thanks

I've gone through quite a through of the HRTF impulses and they don't work that well for me yet but maybe it's because of using headphones (HD-600) rather than in ear ones but I thought it wouldn't be affected by the ear/Pinna shape anyway at that close range.

Regards to direct speaker to speaker panning. I guess I could try crossfading (equal power) between the same sound at the back then to the front so it's just volume based but was hoping for something that took into account some Haas delay too.

For dolby Atmos. This is mostly for games (my main job) whereby it's encoded via middleware like Fmod but I've also set up both the reasurround plugin for simple atmos decoding and then the IEM "ALLRA" decoder for going from ambisonic to my dolby atmos array (7th order for now).

My aim overall is for my personal music to be written in such a way that it can simultaneously be output to 3 formats without too much fuss. Dolby atmos, binaural and raw ambisonic for use in a vr animation/unity project at some point too. Oh and try and get a decent mixdown for stereo speakers too without too much trouble.

That might be too much to ask for without a lot of tweaking though but Readave has mentioned a few times that ambisonic mixes can work well in dolby atmos/7.1 etc. Just wish panning was a bit more specific (even at high order).

Maybe without visual cues from say a 360 video and subtle head movements you subconsciously do in VR, it's just hard to get convincing top/below and back positioning on binaural encoded headphones that are "static" without also tracking head position so that the subtle movements we make with our heads to help position sounds would be included?

Hmm.. it's exciting stuff though!

Here's a photo of the new studio build too

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OH...Drrx9PbbUQR5RI

(although it's missing the acoustic treatment that's going up soon and apart from the 4 Kii three's which are my mains/retirement fund if I go deaf for 5.1 surround and all 4 handle the subwoofer output too) the other speakers are a hodgepodge with my old battered BM15As for rears and cheap speakers for the height ones but might get some floor ones if all goes well too). Also, half the speakers and tv are on rails so I can slide them into couch atmos mode or for gaming too. Just needs some aesthetic love too at some point

Note: I've done the delay and volume normalisation on the speakers too as not ideal positions yet but working on that and started balancing out the timbral differences in the height speakers but not buying another 6 Kii three's for sure! also, got a Denon decoder for atmos from hdmi sources too.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 07-31-2019 at 01:38 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote