View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #20
solger
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino Bob View Post
... this is probably the reason that the Libraries did not populate in Kontakt???
Go to File > Options > Database and check the folder paths there. Otherwise [Add] the path to the folder where you put the Kontakt Factory Selection.

Quote:
OK, this is where I get completely lost for two reasons:
1)at the bottom of one of the screenshots, you can see an “Auto” button which (supposedly) allows for a preview playback of any sample . . . no matter what I try, I can’t get a sound, so I have no idea if this might be a sound I’d want to use;
The Audition Strip at the bottom with the Play and Auto Button lets you prelisten to audio files (like .WAV). With the [AUTO] button enabled, audio files are automatically played back on selection.

But this feature won't work on .NKI files (which are selected in your screenshots) since this is the file format of the Kontakt Instruments.

Quote:
2)what is the connection between the sample picked (which I can’t hear) to my keyboard? That is, my brain says that unless some type of sample ‘label/wording’ from the Kontakt Library populates somewhere in Reaper (or the actual track I want to record), the sound of the sample will never be found/transferred/played?
Basically Kontakt Instruments consist of multiple audio samples which are mapped to a certain MIDI note on the keyboard.

So as simple example: when you press the note C1 on the MIDI keyboard, the corresponding audio sample (assigned to note C1) will be triggered.
As another example, let's say you have a Drum Kit loaded: in this case C1 triggers the Kick audio sample, D1 triggers the Snare audio sample, and so on ...

If you want to show Kontakt's built-in keyboard in order to be able to trigger keys via mouse: https://support.native-instruments.c...-the-keyboard-

-------------------------

As I already mentioned before, the procedure is basically the following:

1) First load the instrument (.NKI file) you want to use (via the [Libraries] Tab or via the [Files] Tab by double-clicking the .NKI instrument file) so it shows up in the Kontakt Rack on the right side.
2) Then use the MIDI keys to trigger/play the sounds of the loaded instrument

-------------------------

As a side note: in general, I'd recommend to use Insert > Virtual instrument on new Track and select the Kontakt Player. This sets up the Track settings (MIDI Input: all channels, Track Record Arm + Input Monitoring enabled) automatically for recording.

By default the incoming MIDI notes are recorded onto the Track.
So if you want to record the Audio Output of Kontakt: Right-Click on the Track Record Button and select Record: Output > Record: Output (stereo).

I hope this makes everything a little bit clearer

Last edited by solger; 09-18-2017 at 02:49 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote