View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #50
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
I can hear both at the same time, I doubt this proves there is no objective reality, I think by coincidence the distortion added overtones of another word (if "yanni" is a word haha) and peoples physical differences in ears emphasizes one or the other
I can easily hear both at the same time even on my Macbook Pro speakers.

I don't think this so much qualifies as an aural illusion but more as a listening exercise. I remember some video where the video element of someone speaking was altered and it led you to perceiving different speech.

In this one, you can clearly hear the "Yanni" alternate as a saturated higher harmonic and missing the 1st harmonic. The 1st harmonic (primary) of "Laurel" masks the higher harmonic saturated "Yanni" at first glance.

And I imagine if you play this back on a ratty enough tinny sounding device, the primary 1st harmonic of "Laurel" can get distorted enough to now have the higher "Yanni" sound louder.

It could genuinely be a fluke of speech synthesis artifacts (and/or further mutilation) that someone stumbled across. Or it could be 2 tracks mixed.

Good ear training though I suppose. You should be able to hear both at the same time. Focus on either like you might focus on elements you are eq'ing.

I think the flat earth business is just a cry for attention. A pretty stupid one yes, but more attention seeking than genuine belief.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote