View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #53
geraintluff
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertag View Post
I don't know if I'm the only one...but PadSynth is causing HUGE CPU peaks on my machine (which is quite fast) esp. when I load a preset. Is that the usual behaviour until it gets to work?

The CPU consuming for me here is way too high for me to be able to use it..
I'm afraid that is expected, and I couldn't see a way around it. When you load a preset, it generates a whole bunch of samples (similar to hitting "Regenerate" after changing waveform parameters).

Because of this, you can't really load presets in the middle of using it. It already attempts to spread out the processing by only generating one sample per block (to keep it responsive - otherwise the whole of REAPER locks up for half a second), but it's still noticeable. It's the reason I have a "Recalculate" button instead of doing this automatically when you change parameters.

It should only last about a second at most. Are you able to use it once the preset has loaded, or is it still too slow?

(I occasionally max out my CPU when playing big chords on certain presets. At some point I will put my hard-hat on and do some proper performance profiling, but I don't expect it will be very fun.)

Last edited by geraintluff; 01-29-2018 at 02:57 PM.
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote