View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
billybuck
Human being with feelings

Having just completed a work project that involved me upgrading 83 workstations from Win 7 to 10 -- many of them containing specialty software and hardware, including modern engineering CAD programs as well as ancient apps employing old C+ libraries from the early 2000's -- I'd say that the 7 to 10 upgrade is not as scary as it seems. There were only four instances in which I had to reinstall any software post-upgrade, and all of those involved Microsoft products (!) specifically, older versions of Office.

Additionally, some of those workstations were almost a decade old and, on paper, not suitable for Win 10, such as dual-core processors with only 4 Gb of RAM. The users of these machines surprised me with reports of subjectively *faster* performance with Win 10.

That said, this was in a business environment in which we didn't have a choice, due to the security vulnerabilities of Win 7 no longer receiving updates beyond last month. There were 0 new features in 10 my company needed or wanted; it was purely a forced upgrade to stay current. Most upgrades took about 2 hours to perform, plus an additional 30 minutes afterward to delete all the unnecessary bloatware.

To sum up, I'd say if the computer isn't connected to the net, there's no reason to fix what ain't broke--stick with 7. If it is connected, I'd go ahead and do the upgrade. Note also that as long as your existing Win7 is a legitimate copy, you don't have to pay for the upgrade and can download the upgrade tool from MS' site for free.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote