View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
Human being with feelings

(I fear it might be time to re-open this thread!)

REAPER is crashing "pretty consistently" for me with the following setup:

- Universal Audio Apollo 8 Thunderbolt (latest firmware & software).

- StarTech[0] (or Apple) Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt (2) adapter.

- USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port on Dell XPS 9560 laptop running Win10 (fully up-to-date).

By "pretty consistently", I mean this:

- My usual REAPER setup will crash as soon as it opens, when the Apollo TB ASIO driver is selected.

- A fresh, portable install of REAPER will open and play back some audio, but opening most projects results in a crash (*after* all/most? plugins have finished loading).

I've had a bit of a test with things like removing plugins, scripts, extensions, etc., but haven't been able to pinpoint anything specific yet. More testing is probably required.

If it helps, Windows Event Log includes this:

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\universal audio\powered plugins\drivers\audio\pcie\x64\uadasio.dll
FWIW, I haven't had any problems with my usual setup (RME Fireface UCX or Fireface 802 via USB).

It might be worth pointing out that these DAWs seem to run fine: Ableton Live 9, BitWig Studio 2.1 (demo), FL Studio 12, PreSonus Studio One 3 x64 (demo), and Reason 9.5 (demo). (My simple, first-pass test was to load a heavy-looking demo project in to each and just play it. I admit this isn't a good enough test, because of all the other things that might be involved, e.g. plugins.)

Any help would be much appreciated. (schwa, Justin?) Let me know if I can provide any more info that would be useful. Many thanks!

[0] UA recommend the StarTech over the Apple, but I seem to have the same results with both. And the Apple one feels slightly better made, though I probably shouldn't be surprised about that.
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote