View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
cyrano
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Hmm... still not sure how you're working the Ambisonic encoding. From what I've seen through experimentation so far, to pan a sound in an Ambisonic mix, the source (mono, stereo or other) needs to first be converted to B format and then manipulated with a B format panning/rotating/zooming/other plugin.
I haven't done much experimenting with panning yet. I've tried ATK and that works beautifully. But I need to put the speakers in place first. And atm, it's just too hot in my den...

Besides, I'm testing Reaper 5.22 on a G5. I had to set up a G5 for a friend, who's a mastering engineer. He was so fed up with the instabilities of the latest Intel products, he was about to throw out his newest Macbook Pro. I jokingly said that would never have happened with a PPC, so he wanted a G5. That wasn't the intention

But he's now running a Cube, just for one plugin that was an app in OS9 days (the newest is some sort of VST shop in the cloud) and a G5 for mixing with an RME PCIe setup.

So, when one of my customers was throwing out a late 2005 G5 in perfect condition, I had him throw it in my direction

Never seen a cleaner computer... Even the optical drive is 100% functional after 10 years. There's just one of the two FW400 ports that doesn't like audio. It works with a harddisk, but not with the RME. Strange.

Quote:
Keen to hear about your MIDI controller experiments when you get into it.
The mixer I was eyeballing, was an old Yamaha 842. Cheap, I liked the looks and the layout and was thinking of modding the electronics. But I was too slow, it's gone. And I've scrapped the idea.

I'm currently looking into a Korg 168RC. That could be used over Midi as a control surface and it has a double ADAT connection. I've only just found the schematics this morning and I'm going over them as we speak. It's also cheap, but not moddable at all. Luckily, there's almost no analog circuitry in there. Only 4 preamps, only 2 of those on XLR's with phantom power. But it's got 16 digital busses.

I've just got to figure out if you can "translate" a cubase midi map (.amxd or .mix) to a Reaper readable format. If not, it'll be DIY.

Quote:
Are you renting where you are now or is it your own property? Maybe you could look at double glazing although that could get expensive for a large area.
It's mine. But it already has double glass. That's why it gets so hot. One window (2 by 5 m) gets morning sun, the other evening sun

I also have a 4 by 2,5 m meatlocker that stays cool

Unfortunately, it's tiled on the inside and if I rip out the tiles, there's only cork isolation left. So that's a plan for later.

Quote:
I'm actually sitting at my DAW PC, typing this reply (for the second time!!) on it while REAPER plays some B format recordings in the background on the new speaker layout and I'm thoroughly enjoying it this time!!
Great!

I've been playing iTunes 6 on the G5. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, T-bone Burnett... And they all sound better than with the latest itunes. Go figure.

Of course, stereo only for now.

Quote:
I ended up moving the lower ring of speakers off the floor and also moved the top ring up higher. My ear height is now right smack in the middle of the two layers...

Overall, the sound is FAR, FAR more convincing now and almost uncanny in 3D positioning. I had to pause a couple of times just to check that some of the things I was hearing were on the recording and not outside!

I currently have three new Auratones and four original 80s models and have them very closely matched with a little EQ. Even so, I'm contemplating either purchasing one more new one to have four new ones in one ring and four 80s ones in the other ring or purchasing FIVE new ones to have a complete set of eight perfectly matching ones. The latter option is stretching my already far stretched budget though!! I just set up a large solar/battery/multi inverter power system for my home and studio (no more electricity bills!!) and have also just purchased two new Roland JP08 Boutique synths so the bank account has taken a pretty hefty beating!
I'm designing four high speaker standards. But it'll be DIY, as nothing pre-made fits the bill. And that's the designer's bill, as well as the budget bill.

Why don't you do 4 DIY Auratones? I mean, there isn't much special in there. The original Auratone manufacturer wasn't even a loudspeaker builder, but a carpenter. Can't be hard to match?

Quote:
I am putting together some plans (in my head as I type!) to build a double octagon frame to mount all eight speaker to. At the moment, two are sitting on cardboard boxes, four are on tall CD racks (at the top and bottom) and two are on some Gibraltar drum hardware from my Roland V Drums kit. Quite the mashup!! Sounds great though!!
I'm also considering hanging the top ones from the ceiling.

But I'm taking it very slow. Heat, budget and the G5 first.