View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #85
DutchDoctor
Human being with feelings

I've only had OSX for about 12 months, prior to this been a Windows/Reaper guy.
I bought the Macbook Retina pro due to the hardware/price point, and needed to learn the OSX environment to learn the "industry standard" for uni/work. I still really dislike ProTools, even under OSX. So I'm using Reaper and I must say that the GUI still REALLY unresponsive compared to running Reaper on Windows 7 x64 Bootcamp (A/B tested).

My research is seeming to indicate that Reaper/Cockos aren't to blame for this, and that the OSX desktop environment is a bubbly/sticky host for applications, unless they are completely rebuilt from the ground up using open GL.

This is a serious shame, I like many many things about OSX, especially CoreAudio (so very stable). But an unresponsive GUI is an utter deal breaker to me.

Windows isn't perfect either, ASIO can be a pain - and lacks awesome touchpad support and some of the productivity features OSX has. But a responsive GUI trumps all for me.

For the record, the audio in Reaper under OSX/CoreAudio is stable and responsive. So thanks to Cockos for that.

Now if Reaper had Linux support.... *licks lips*.
DutchDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote